How big is your carbon footprint…?

A carbon footprint is a measure of the impact human activities have on the environment in terms of the amount of greenhouse gases produced, measured in units of carbon dioxide. There are 2 types of footprint that make up your total carbon footprint; the direct/primary footprint and the indirect/secondary footprint. The primary footprint is a measure of our direct emissions of CO2 from the burning of fossil fuels and includes the energy we use at home and for transportation – air travel creates a primary footprint. The secondary footprint is a measure of the indirect CO2 emissions from the whole lifecycle of products we use - those associated with their manufacture and eventual breakdown.

The first thing people should need to do is to calculate their carbon footprint. They ca
n do this online in some websites like: www. Carbonfootprint.com or www. myfootprint.org. so I calculated my carbon footprint I got 21.32 average of the equivalent. Then I compared with the other students in my class and I got one of the low carbon footprint in the class. When i calculated my carbon footprint in those two sites asked me about the food, home, travelling and things that I use .this is some examples of the question that they asked me, what kind of food that I eat, if I use train, bus and car, what I use in the home that I can reduce my carbon footprint and if travel too much to Europe.



You can act on your carbon footprint with any of the reduction methods. First in your home,for example. Unplug your electronics, Reduce water in your toilet tank and Dry clothes on a clothes line instead of in a dryer. Second in your diet, for example, Decrease your meat consumption and Buy local. Finally in you travelling for example, using your bike or feet for most transportation needs and purchasing a Hybrid vehicle.

No comments: